Applications have now closed but do come along to the garden if you would like to volunteer or to discuss a future Trustee role
The Community Garden is looking for at least two Trustees to join our existing Board. This is a unique opportunity for a rewarding experience, helping to develop the garden while gaining skills, socialising, and getting exercise in our amazing outdoor setting.
What will you be doing?
The Board makes top-level decisions about how the garden is run and how we develop the resource for the future. As well as taking this strategic role, you will be actively involved in the day to day running of the garden. We are open on a Wednesday and a Sunday between 11am and 3pm. You will support volunteers, organise activities and get stuck in to gardening tasks.
What is the time commitment?
You should be available to regularly attend either a Wednesday or a Sunday gardening session, ideally on at least two dates per month. Please note that we will be happy to discuss less time at the garden for those with particular skills, including finance management and fund raising. In addition, you will contribute to a monthly Trustee meeting, which we aim to limit to an hour. Other input varies, but is unlikely to be more than an extra 2-3 hours per month.
What are we looking for?
The following are qualities that we would expect from our Board members.
- An interest in gardens and undertaking gardening tasks. (Specific horticultural knowledge is not required as others will provide guidance).
- Able to direct volunteers.
- Able to work cooperatively with others.
- Able to listen and have a willingness to challenge others, where this is appropriate for the good of the garden and done in a respectful manner.
- Skills to analyse proposals and to play an active part in decision making.
- Have a clear commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, valuing differences to make better decisions and to deliver better outcomes
We are particularly interested in appointing someone with a financial background to fill one of our Trustee roles. In addition to the above qualities, this person should have financial qualifications or proven experience of working in a financial setting.
We are also looking for fresh expertise from people with a variety of backgrounds. We therefore welcome people without prior charity trustee experience.
How to express an interest
Applications have now closed.